Since Feb. 1, 2020, thieves have been extremely active in southwest Edmonton neighbourhoods including Ritchie, Strathcona, McKernan, Belgravia, Queen Alexandra, Garneau and Windsor Park.
The neighbourhood of Ritchie has been especially hit hard with 26 garage break-and-enters being reported to police. Thieves are typically gaining entrance to detached garages by prying open the pedestrian doors, then stealing bikes and tools.
Anyone with information regarding these garage B&Es or the suspects involved is asked to call EPS at 780-423-4567 or #377 from a mobile phone. Anonymous information can also be submitted to Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-8477 or online at www.p3tips.com/250.
Police are encouraging residents throughout the city to target-harden their garages, making them less attractive to would-be thieves.
TIPS TO BETTER SECURE YOUR GARAGE:
- Keep your garage locked, even when you are at home
- If the overhead garage door is roller and track operated, install a lock in the track to block the roller and disconnect your automatic garage door opener before you go on vacation
- Secure your other garage doors with deadbolts
- Install lights near your garage to keep the area lit
- Leave your headlights on until you park in the garage
- Have a remote-control garage door opener installed. This will allow you to stay in your locked car until you're inside your locked garage. Be sure the overhead door closes completely after you drive into or out of your garage
- Never leave your automatic garage door opener in a vehicle that is parked outside your home