The Edmonton Police Service collects 25-30 bicycles each week. Only 24% of these are returned to owners. Unclaimed bicycles go to city auction.
Keep Your Bike Safe!
Record Your Bike’s Serial Number — with Bike Index!
EPS is unable to return bikes to people who cannot prove ownership. To make this easier on our cycling community, we have partnered with Bike Index to provide a free bicycle registration service.
1. Sign up with Bike Index for free at BikeIndex.org.
2. Input your bike's serial number, make, model, colour and your contact information. Include a photo too!
3. Pick up your free unique EPS & Bike Index sticker at an EPS front counter or participating bike shop.
4. Store the bill of sale in a safe place. If you're buying used, ask for a receipt.
Click here to learn more about the EPS and Bike Index program.
Lock up your bike
1. Always lock up your bike. A high-quality U-lock is recommended.
2. Theft can occur anywhere – homes, parkades, or city streets.
Report Bike Theft to Police
1. File a police report online or in person at a division station.
2. If your bicycle is registered on Bike Index, mark it as "stolen" so the community and police officers can be provided with real-time data on your bike.
3. a) If you believe your bicycle has been recovered by police, contact the Property Exhibit Unit at 780-421-2158.
Leave a message for a technician to call you back. Include:
- Your name and number
- Bike serial number
- Police report or file number
- Detailed description of the bike
NOTE: Recovered bicycles are stored in a secure facility and access by the general public is not permitted.
b) To reclaim your bicycle, you will need to provide the Property Exhibit Unit with:
A Copy of the police report or file number
The serial number for your bike (in the form of a Bill of Sale, purchase receipt, warranty card, photograph, or other documented form)
A detailed description of your bike including any aftermarket parts
A photo of you and your bike is an asset.
This is where a Bike Index registry comes in hand — all of this information is already in your bicycle profile!
Bicycle auctions are now hosted by Michener Allen Auctions. If you are interested in attending a bicycle auction, please call 780-470-5584 to receive auction details.