Edmonton Police Service logo

Commitment to Professionalism - Reduced Crime & Victimization - Investigative Excellence - Increased Efficiency & Effectiveness
Copyright © 2016, Edmonton Police Service. All rights reserved.

Edmonton Police Service

Dedicated to Protect, Proud to Serve

Reporting A Collision

Download our "Vehicle Collision Guide" so you know what information to take down if you're in a collision.

What to do if you have been involved in a collision?

  • Exchange information (insurance, registration, name and drivers licence number).
  • Take photos of the other driver's information and licence plate.
  • If someone refuses to provide their information document the licence plate number, vehicle description and driver description before they leave the scene.
  • If your vehicles are drivable, move them to another location so that they will not be obstructing traffic. If one or more are not drivable call the police complaint line at 423-4567.
  • Obtain names and phone numbers of all witnesses.
  • If the combined damage to the vehicles involved is over $2,000, you must attend a police station with your vehicle and file a Collision Report Form. Failure to do so could result in a $287 fine. Be sure to have all documents with you when you attend a station - licence, registration, insurance, other driver's info, photos, etc.

If the collision involves serious injuries or if impaired operation of a motor vehicle is suspected, here is what you or someone else should do.

  • Call 9-1-1 so that the necessary medical help can be dispatched to the scene and police can be notified.
  • In this instance, vehicles need to remain where they are in order that the collision scene can be investigated.

Police attendance is ONLY required when:

  • Someone has been seriously injured.
  • Individual does not have documentation including driver’s license, registration or insurance.
  • You suspect the driver is impaired
  • One or more of the vehicles isn’t drivable.

If you are unsure, call 780-423-4567.