Are you a high school student interested in a career with the Edmonton Police Service?
The Edmonton Police Service’s (EPS) Youth Recruit Academy (YRA) offers high school students in Grades 10, 11 or 12 interested in, or learning more about, a career in policing a small look into what it takes to fill the boots of an EPS recruit constable.
The YRA was developed in 2015 to give youth the opportunity to gain insight into the first year as a police recruit. Youth will be able to work alongside EPS members, ask questions, and meet peers who are also interested in a policing career.
This year's academy will run from July 4-7, 2023, and will be held at EPS' Northwest Branch (18440 127 Street NW).
The four-day Academy sees YRA participants learn the value of physical fitness, develop team building and leadership skills, and participate in police-structured lectures and scenarios from various police units such as Canine, Robbery, Air 1, Traffic, and Forensics.
The YRA program takes 40 outstanding high school students. A selection process will take place on all applications depending on the requirements outlined below:
- You must currently be in Grade 10, 11 or 12 for 2021-2022 school year, with good attendance.
- You have no criminal convictions for which a pardon or record suspension has not been granted.
- You have no associations with those who are known to have an extensive criminal record.
- Must be committed to attending all four full days, from 0800 to 1600.
If accepted, you will be required to attend an evening meeting with your parent/guardian prior to the YRA start date.
Selection to the program will take place after the application deadline.
The deadline for application submissions is: Friday, May 19, 2023
A high level of physical fitness is an essential aspect of a recruit constable. Being physically fit is not only a significant part of the application process but also throughout Recruit Training and into a future policing career.
The YRA will put your physical fitness to the test—a fundamental part of EPS’ own Recruit Training Unit. Workouts may include cardio and strength conditioning, ranging from a long run to a circuit-style activity.
Each training day, our recruits must ensure they have the essential items in their kits to succeed in that day's activities.
For YRA, it's no different. You will need to come prepared for both indoor and outdoor components. Before the start of the week, YRA participants will be provided with a kit that will include the following:
The academy will continue operations, rain or shine, so make sure you pack your kits with the following personal items:
- Running shoes
- Water bottle
- Long-sleeve shirt or sweater
- Light jacket
- Change of clothes
Please note there is no registration fee, and lunches and snacks are not provided.
How to Apply
We are now accepting applications for YRA 2023
Find the application forms here:
* If the PDF application does not load, download, and drag it to your computer Desktop. Then right click the PDF on your computer Desktop and select “open with…” select to open the document with Adobe Reader. This should successfully launch the PDF and allow you to fill it out and email it in.
For questions about the application process, please email email@example.com
Thank you for considering the Edmonton Police Service Youth Recruit Academy.