The Citizens’ Police Academy (CPA) is an exclusive opportunity for individuals with professional or personal interest in community policing to acquire knowledge on police issues, practices and operations in the City of Edmonton with a desire to apply course materials to community policing issues and pass information on to community stakeholders.
We are not currently taking applications due to the COVID-19 Pandemic. Please come back for future updates.
Dates: To be Announced at a future date.
Community Focus: Edmonton Police Service Division
Classes take place Tuesday's from 6:30 pm-9:30 pm.
Location: Collaborative Policing Training Room (#110, 14315 – 118th Ave. T5L 4S6)
View the brochure
Download Citizen's Police Academy Application
When you participate in CPA, you will:
- Make a difference in your community
- Increase your knowledge of community policing
- Discover crime prevention strategies
- Better understand your police service
Other benefits include:
- Increased awareness of current policing issues
- Knowledge of the complexities and subtleties of police work
- Greater understanding of community involvement in crime and safety issues
- Tools to assist in making your community safer
- Opportunity to connect with others in the community concerned about the same issues as yourself
- Open and ongoing dialogue between the community and the Edmonton Police Service.
Requirements to attend:
- 18 years or older
- Undergo a Police Information Check
- Able to attend 9 of the 12 classes
- Associated with an organization or program which works with the the local community, EPS or has an interest in community policing and crime prevention.
- For more information email: email@example.com
Please Note: Priority will be given to those who work or reside within the boundaries of Edmonton and/or are associated to an agency, organization or program that would directly benefit from the information received from the class. This class IS NOT intended for those wishing to become police members in the future.
Over the course of 13 sessions, your class will cover many aspects of the police service, with a strong emphasis on community policing. Through interactive, hands on learning, practical demonstrations, real life scenarios and case studies, you will cover topics including:
- Basic criminal law
- A day in the life of a Police Officer
- Community policing
- Crime scene investigation
History of policing
Deadline for applications: TBA
Due to the time required to process the Police Information Check we cannot accept applications after this deadline.