Edmonton Police Service logo

Commitment to Professionalism - Reduced Crime & Victimization - Investigative Excellence - Increased Efficiency & Effectiveness
Copyright © 2022, Edmonton Police Service. All rights reserved.

Edmonton Police Service

Dedicated to Protect, Proud to Serve

Report Animal Cruelty

Emergencies: 911. Animals in imminent danger of death or serious injury (including animals left alone in hot or cold cars that are exhibiting signs of distress*)
Non-emergencies: 780-423-4567. The Edmonton Police Service investigate concerns of intentional harm or severe and willful neglect to animals as defined under the Criminal Code of Canada
Neglect or abandonment: 311 (Animal Care and Control)
Can a complaint be made anonymously?

Yes, a complaint can be made anonymously to police or Crime Stoppers. However, it could be difficult for investigators to take certain investigative and legal steps without knowing who made the complaint in order to confirm facts and gather more information.

What information do police require?

  • Description of the animal(s) involved;
  • Details of the condition of the animal(s) and why the witness believes there has been cruelty or neglect;
  • Address/description of where the animal(s) are;
  • Name and address of the person the witness believes may be responsible for the cruelty and neglect if possible;
  • Name, address and contact details of any other witnesses who may be able to help.