Edmonton Police Service logo

Commitment to Professionalism - Reduced Crime & Victimization - Investigative Excellence - Increased Efficiency & Effectiveness
Copyright © 2024, Edmonton Police Service. All rights reserved.

Edmonton Police Service

Dedicated to Protect, Proud to Serve

Criminal Harassment

The Canadian Criminal Code defines criminal harassment as:

  • Repeatedly following from place to place the other person or anyone known to them;
  • Repeatedly communicating with, either directly or indirectly, the other person or anyone known to them;
  • Besetting or watching the dwelling-house, or place where the other person, or anyone known to them, resides, works, carries on business or happens to be; or
  • Engaging in threatening conduct directed at the other person or member of their family.

What can you do?

  • Download the following EPS form – Record of Harassment – in order to complete the following steps.
  • Direct your harasser to immediately stop all contact with you using the harassment caution on the Record of Harassment. Document this on the Record of Harassment.
  • Document incidents involving the person you believe is harassing you by following the instructions on the Record of Harassment.
  • Phone police immediately if you feel there is an imminent threat to anyone’s safety—including your own
  • Seek legal protection.

Your options:

  1. Emergency Protection Order

    Can prevent a person from contacting you, coming to your home, school or work; and seize weapons. Call the Emergency Protection Order Program to set up a meeting with a Justice of the Peace (780-422-9222). For more information, visit their website.

  2. Peace Bond

    A peace bond may be available if you have been threatened; have reasonable fear for the safety of yourself, your spouse, or your child; or have a reasonable fear that someone will damage your property. Peace Bonds can only last up to a year and are NOT renewable.  A Peace Bond requires you and the other party to appear in court and you MUST provide evidence for this Peace Bond. Call the Today Centre at 780-455-6880 (daytime) or 780-482-4357 (after hours) for more information. Click for more information.

  3. Restraining Order

Restraining orders are non-criminal court orders that outline specific conditions, such as prohibiting contact. They are usually made in connection with a custody or separation case in a Family Court. You can obtain an Ex Parte (this means without notice to the other party) restraining order by attending the Queen’s Bench Family Court Chambers and filing an application with the Clerk of the Court. You will then be directed to a courtroom where the judge reviews the documents, listens to the evidence, and can immediately issue an order if deemed appropriate.


  • It is important to record all the incidents involving the person you believe is harassing you.
  • Do not initiate any contact with the person you believe to be harassing you.
  • Do not put yourself at risk by approaching the person you believe to be harassing you.