The Indigenous Community Engagement Strategy is the foundation for the Edmonton Police Service (EPS) to build positive community partnerships based upon mutual respect, open communication, understanding, and trust with the Indigenous community that we serve.
The Indigenous Community Engagement Strategy is intended to guide the work of the EPS through five goals:
- Develop strategic community partnerships
- Increase education and cultural awareness of the membership,
- Increase recruiting from within the Indigenous community,
- Develop Indigenous engagement best practices and procedures in policing
- Keep informed on issues affecting the Indigenous community.
The EPS worked in consultation with the Indigenous community through our Indigenous Community Liaison Committee (ICLC) to develop this strategy and its corresponding five goals with an accurate reflection of the needs of the Indigenous community. The goals encompass the needs of both the police and the community it serves.
We encourage you to read the full strategy here: