The Alcohol and Breath Testing Detail of the Edmonton Police Service is responsible for the administration and operation of alcohol and drug related criminal code driving matters in the Edmonton Police Service. In addition, the certification, maintenance and operation of all alcohol measuring instruments are coordinated out of this office as well as training requirements of police officers who use them.
We are also responsible for:
- Education and awareness of the effects of alcohol and the consequences of impaired driving.
- In-service training of recruits and active police officers on impaired driving offences and the use and operation of scientific alcohol detecting instruments.
- Liaising with groups such as Mothers Against Drunk Driving and Operation Red Nose.
- Facilitation and coordination of the year-round Checkstop program that periodically includes joint-force operations with the Alberta Sheriff's Department and the RCMP.
- Coordinating specially trained Drug Recognition Experts. These police officers are specifically trained in identifying drug impaired drivers to coincide with the proclamation of the new legislation, (Bill C-2).