Bicycle equipment regulations
All cyclists are required by law to have the following equipment when cycling:
Traffic laws for cyclists
As per Bylaw 5590:
- A person shall not ride a bicycle on any sidewalk unless the bicycle has a wheel diameter of 50 centimeters or less. This law does not apply to shared pathways or designated bicycle paths.
- A person riding a bicycle on a sidewalk or bicycle path shall:
- (a) yield the right of way to slower moving people;
- (b) alert anyone about to be overtaken by sounding a bell a reasonable amount of time before overtaking;
- (c) use reasonable care when overtaking another person; and
- (d) travel under control and at a reasonable rate of speed having regard to the nature, condition and use of the sidewalk or bicycle path including the amount of pedestrian traffic.