Edmonton Police Service logo

Commitment to Professionalism - Reduced Crime & Victimization - Investigative Excellence - Increased Efficiency & Effectiveness
Copyright © 2022, Edmonton Police Service. All rights reserved.

Edmonton Police Service

Dedicated to Protect, Proud to Serve

What to do if you are in a collision

Starting September 29, 2022, important changes are coming to collision reporting. Click here to learn more about the upcoming opening of our Collision Reporting Centres.

What to do if you’re in a collision

  • Establish if anyone is hurt. If anyone has suffered an injury resulting in the person being transported to a hospital or there is any evidence of criminality, Call 9-1-1 right away.
  • Take a breath. Keep in mind that this is a stressful situation for everyone involved and to remain calm.
  • Clear the road. If it is safe to do so and the vehicles can be moved, move all involved vehicles to an area of safety, clearing the road for other drivers.
  • Assess damage. If the involved vehicles have over $2,000 combined damage you must report the collision to police immediately. Failure to report the collision could result in a $405 fine. If motorists are unsure of how much the damage is, they can attend a body shop for an estimate. If damage is very minor, please contact your insurance company to talk about your options.
  • Exchange information.
    • Record where the collision occurred
    • The licence plate number, as well as the year, make, model and colour of the other involved vehicle(s).
    • Exchange driver licence, registration, and insurance policy and company information.
    • Confirm the driver’s full name, address and a phone number from the other involved individual(s).
  • Take photos. Taking a picture of each other’s information on your cell phone is a quick and accurate way to exchange information in what is a stressful situation. Take photos of the collision scene and damage to your vehicle too.
  • Talk to witnesses. Exchange information with any witnesses so police can contact them if necessary.
  • Report the collision to an EPS front counter. If possible, find out which station the other driver(s) will attend to file their report. This will assist the EPS in filing the collision report.

Is your collision outside the City of Edmonton?

To report a collision outside the City of Edmonton, please contact the police service responsible for that area.

When police will attend a collision

  • The collision involves a fatality
  • The collision involves a serious personal injury where a person is transported to a hospital
  • Criminal activity is involved in the collision (e.g impaired driving, stolen vehicle, assault)
  • Collisions involved with the transporting of dangerous goods
  • The collision involves a person who is uninsured or is a suspended driver (keep in mind by not having an insurance card it does not necessarily mean the vehicle is not insured)
  • The collision involves damage to private, municipal or highway property
  • The collisions involve cyclists or pedestrian who have been injured and require transport to hospital

If motorists have questions, or are unsure of what to do, call 780-423-4567 (#377 from a mobile). Individuals can obtain a copy of their collision report through the Government of Alberta website.