Edmonton Police Service logo

Commitment to Professionalism - Reduced Crime & Victimization - Investigative Excellence - Increased Efficiency & Effectiveness
Copyright © 2024, Edmonton Police Service. All rights reserved.

Edmonton Police Service

Dedicated to Protect, Proud to Serve

Police Seized Vehicles FAQ

Why was my vehicle towed to the Impound Lot?

Generally, a vehicle is towed to the Edmonton Police Service Impound Lot at the direction of an EPS Police Officer, City of Edmonton Bylaw Officer or other Agency Police/Peace Officer. Vehicles can be removed for a variety of reasons including, but not limited to:  

  • being parked illegally, unattended and/or obstructing traffic
  • ·no valid licence plates or permits
  • parked in a restricted traffic lane during restricted hours causing a safety hazard and/or impeding traffic flow.
  • damaged, abandoned, involved in a crime, derelict or recovered stolen.


What do I need to provide to claim my vehicle at the Impound Lot?

You must be the owner and provide physical valid proof of ownership (no photos), identification and pay all towing and storage fees. If you complete the online form to authorize someone else to claim your vehicle, that agent must produce valid identification, valid proof of ownership and pay all towing and storage fees.  The vehicle can only be driven off the Impound Lot if valid registration and insurance, and licence plate can be produced. Lien holders may claim vehicles that are available for release by employing the services of any Bailiff, who will be required to produce all seizure

documentation as well as a valid operator's licence (interim driver’s licence requires government issued ID.


Will I be able to drive my vehicle away from the Impound Lot?

Unless your vehicle is deemed "undriveable", you will be able to drive away if you produce a valid physical operator's licence (interim driver’s licence requires government issued ID), proof of valid insurance and valid registration along with valid licence plates.  The vehicle must be roadworthy, and you must also not be under the influence of alcohol or drugs.  If any of the above requirement cannot be met, or if your vehicle is deemed "undriveable", you may not drive the vehicle from the Lot, however, you may have it towed at your expense to private property with valid proof of ownership and identification as listed above.


My vehicle is unregistered and/or uninsured. How can I remove it from the Impound Lot?

Vehicles that are unregistered and/or uninsured cannot be driven on public roadways. There must be valid registration and insurance for the impounded vehicle to be driven off the lot, if your vehicle is uninsured and/or unregistered, it can only be towed from the Impound Lot at your expense after providing proof of ownership and valid identification.


What are the fees to recover my vehicle from the Impound Lot?

You are responsible for the costs for towing, storage fees based on the type of vehicle, as well as any other administrative fees. The towing fee schedule is posted online and can also be provided at the


If you have questions not addresses in this FAQ section, please contact the Edmonton Police Service Impound Lot at 780-496-8668. 

Impound Lot. It is advisable to contact the impound at 780-496-8668 to obtain the exact amount due to release a vehicle prior to attending. Debit, Visa, Mastercard, American Express and Cash are accepted forms of payment for impound fees. 

Please note that all vehicles must be removed from the Impound Lot within 1 calendar day of making the payment or additional storage will be assessed and must be paid before release of the vehicle can take place.

Payment of any violation or other tickets are not accepted at the Edmonton Police Service Impound Lot, please follow the instructions related to how to pay on the ticket.


Why do I pay a towing and storage fee when my car was towed to the Impound Lot after it was reported stolen?

The costs of towing and storage of all vehicles taken to the Impound Lot are the responsibility of the owner of the vehicle or their insurance provider. As a vehicle owner you may purchase insurance that covers costs associated with the theft of your vehicle, if you choose not to purchase this coverage you assume the risk for all costs associated with the theft/recovery.


What happens to unclaimed vehicles?

Every attempt is made to locate and notify owners and lien holders of impounded vehicles. Unclaimed vehicles are sold at our Unclaimed Vehicle Auctions, held monthly online at www.maauctions.com. Vehicles deemed to be of insufficient value to be auctioned are sent for salvage sale. After recovery of towing and storage fees, any revenue generated through the disposal goes to the Alberta Government. A registered owner may claim a vehicle any time prior to the day before the start of the auction. Lien holders or owners are entitled to claim any residual revenue from the Alberta Government. Allow 60 days after disposal for processing.

Legislation states that written notification must be sent to the last known registered owner list with the Provincial registries. Always make sure your information is updated at the registries.


Are vehicles sold at auction free from liens?

Under the Traffic Safety Act of Alberta, the last registered owner as well as any lien holders for the vehicle must be notified before the vehicle can be auctioned. Lien holders that fail to respond to correspondence advising of the pending disposal forfeit their lien(s) but are still entitled to apply for any proceeds of the disposal.


What happens if I leave my vehicle at the Impound Lot?

If you choose to abandon your vehicle at the Edmonton Police Service Impound Lot, it will be disposed of in accordance with the Traffic Safety Act of Alberta, any amount owing not recovered through the disposal process will be a debt owing to the Crown by the current owner and the Registrar of Motor Vehicle Services may:

1. Suspend the registration of all vehicles registered in the name of the debtor, or

2. Refuse to register any motor vehicle in the name of the debtor, or

3. Refuse to register a vehicle in the name of a new owner if the ownership of a registered vehicle passes directly or through intermediary owners from the person who owes the debt.


If you have questions not addresses in this FAQ section, please contact the Edmonton Police Service Impound Lot at 780-496-8668.