Edmonton Police Service logo

Commitment to Professionalism - Reduced Crime & Victimization - Investigative Excellence - Increased Efficiency & Effectiveness
Copyright © 2022, Edmonton Police Service. All rights reserved.

Edmonton Police Service

Dedicated to Protect, Proud to Serve

What to do if you are in a collision

First ask:

  1. Is someone injured?
  2. Do you suspect the driver is impaired?

If you can say yes to either question, call 9-1-1 and keep the vehicles where they are.

If you can say no to both questions, then ask:

  1. Are all vehicles involved still drivable?
  2. Do all drivers involved have proper documents?

If you can say yes to both questions, police do not need to attend the scene. If you believe the combined damage is over $2000, you are required to attend a police station to file a collision report.** If you are unsure of how much the damage is, you should attend a body shop for an estimate prior to attending a station. 

If the damage is under $2000, you do not need to report to police.

If you can say no to either question, please call 780-423-4567 (or #377 from your mobile phone) for police to attend the scene.

Next, exchange information with the driver(s) involved

We do not suggest that you move your vehicle before exchanging information.

Information to collect*:

  • Name
  • Insurance
  • Registration
  • Driver’s Licence number
  • License Plate

If possible, find out which station the other driver(s) will attend to file their report. This will assist the EPS when filing your report.

If there are witnesses, obtain their names and contact information.

*If you have a camera phone, take photos of these items and of the scene if it's safe to do so.

**Remember: If the combined damage to ALL vehicles involved is over $2,000, you must attend a police station with your vehicle and file a Collision Report Form. Failure to do so could result in a $405 fine. Please have all documents with you when you attend a station - licence, registration, insurance, other driver's information, photos, etc.

If you have any questions, or are unsure of what to do, call 780-423-4567 (#377 from a mobile). Individuals can obtain a copy of their collision report through the Government of Alberta website.