Oskayak is the Cree Word for Youth
The Oskayak Police Academy was created to help educate Indigenous youth about policing practices, cultural and police protocols, and crime prevention initiatives.
The program, now in its seventh year, has been developed in cooperation with Bent Arrow Traditional Healing Society, Edmonton Police Foundation, the Northern Lights Society, as well as other community supporters such as the Edmonton Civic Employees Charitable Assistance Fund.
The success of this program is in the collaborative efforts of all community members involved, who strive to create a safe and fun learning environment for our youth and police officers to interact and learn from one another.
The two-week program is geared towards self-identified Indigenous youth between the ages of 14 and 18 years, and offers numerous activities and opportunities to engage, inspire and inform.
Youth participants will:
- Learn about the ways in which the Edmonton Police Service works within their communities.
- Feel respected and safe within their communities and relationships with the police.
- Do things in their communities that show leadership, strength, and positivity in the way forward to sustainable relationships with the Edmonton Police Service and have fun and positive interactions with police!
Click here to enlarge and print poster
A Free Program for Indigenous Youth
Through the support of the Edmonton Police Foundation and the Edmonton Civic Employees Charitable Assistance Fund, the academy is offered free of charge:
- Transportation costs are covered.
- Snacks, lunches, and graduation feast are provided.
- Community and police volunteer supports are available.
Register Now, Space is Limited.
Oskayak Police Academy
July 18 – 29, 2022
Monday – Friday, 9 a.m. – 4 p.m.
Parkdale Cromdale Community League
11335 – 85 Street NW
Space is limited, so parents / guardians are encouraged to register their youth as soon as possible.
For more information, or to apply, please contact Christie Pace, Indigenous Relations Advisor, at oskayakDist@edmontonpolice.ca or 780-218-9026.