Are you interested in shaping a police service to better serve members of sexual and gender diverse communities? Looking for a meaningful way to contribute to your community? The SOGIE Advisory Council might be just the opportunity you are looking for.
Who are we looking for?
We are looking for 16 diverse people with a keen interest in guiding EPS as it implements recommendations borne from public engagement efforts.
In addition to interest in, or experience with working with or for sexual and gender diverse communities, interest or experience in the following would be considered an asset:
- Working with community or civic organizations
- Providing advice and recommendations to a large organization
- Considering diverse perspectives
- Implementing new policies in a large organization
- Developing and implementing work plans
- Consensus based decision making
- Monitoring, reporting and evaluating outcomes
- A two (2) year term that begins in January 2023
- A minimum of 2-5 volunteer hours a quarter
- Attend 4 regularly scheduled meetings of the SOGIE during the year (Quarterly)
- Additional meetings may be held as required
Meet Our Current Members
The SOGIE Council is an advisory council consisting of community members; whose voices, opinions and experiences will assist in shaping the policies and practices of the EPS. Throughout past EPS’ engagement initiatives, common themes of transparency and accountability have emerged as fundamental pillars to effective and meaningful change. Therefore, transparency regarding “who” is advising the EPS is equally as vital as to “what” change the EPS is implementing.
Although we are not always recruiting, our application process remains open, you may send in your resume and application form at any time to SOGIE@edmontonpolice.ca.
You can find the application here.
In an effort to support transparency, all public EPS councils will post names of council members on EPS platforms.